Instagram

Sunday 16 July 2017

June Wrap Up


So, it’s the middle of July and I still haven’t written this! I’ve really been struggling to write these the past few months and I don’t know why. Especially since this month I went on holiday to Greece and I found out I got a 2:1 in my degree! I had a bad day today but that’s about it. Maybe I find it easier to write when I’m in a rant-y mood. And that is me today. You know, yesterday I watched probably one of the worst films I’ve ever seen! It’s called Life, anyone else heard of it? It’s a sci-fi horror but honestly it was terrible, like they were being so stupid I just couldn’t take it. There’s funny bad films that I don’t mind watching, then there’s bad films that are actually trying to be good films and it’s just awful. I could go into it further but that would be going too far off topic. To the books!
Vivian Versus the Apocalypse – Katie Coyle
I honestly can’t really give you any major plot points of this book but I can tell you that I really didn’t enjoy it. I can’t really describe it properly without spoiling it, so beware spoilers ahead! So basically, it’s about this girl Vivian trying to cope with the end of the world. It’s predominantly a road trip with her bestie Harp and this bloke Peter. They are travelling across America searching for answers of this so-called rapture. Let me tell you that basically nothing happens, at all. Peter gets beat up, they probably kiss, she has an argument or two and she’s an angsty teenager of course. So, picture this; I’m sitting in bed reading away, three quarters of the way through thinking ‘this has surely got to pick up the pace soon?’ and then we find out what actually happened … It was fake! Yes, you read that correctly, it was a farce, her parents made holes in the ceiling and pretended to be raptured! Are you joking me, I actually threw the book, Bradley Cooper Silver Linings style. Then I picked it up to finish because surely that wasn’t it. Unfortunately, it was. I mean lots of people died but by then I was beyond caring, which was a shame as the book had potential and I was excited to read it. I think that’s why I got so annoyed with it, I was expecting it to be good. I don’t really think I told you anything good apart from my rant-y feelings. What I will say is that the cover is great and at the start I liked Vivian she seemed ‘normal’ for lack of better word, she seemed genuine and a shy character. Sadly I did just got super annoyed about how it ended and I don’t think I’ll be reading the next one.
My Book Rating – 2*

Cress – Marissa Meyer
I just checked and I read Scarlet in 2014, so this is quite a big gap between a read and I couldn’t remember anything that happened. I was worried that this would mean that I wouldn’t enjoy it as I’d just be so confused, but have no fear once I started reading the major points were remembered! I think my main gripe with this series is that there’s so many characters, and they all have individual voices in the book which I think is a bit unnecessary. Each new book does focus on that story but the older characters have chapters and its quite back and forth. As these are fairy tale characters, Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, instead of being trapped in a tower she is trapped in a satellite, hacking into whatever she’s told to. Cinder and the gang find out about Cress and set about a rescue, but of course this does not go to plan and the gang are separated. Whilst this story is going on, Cinder must work to stop the wedding between Prince Kai and Queen Levana.  There’s lots of other subplots typical of the book, romance, kidnap, you know the usual. I did like the book but personally I found it be about 100 pages too long. I do think it dragged a bit, and there were periods where nothing really happened it was just bulk. Saying that, I definitely will be reading to see what happens next. It’s a great and interesting concept and I am looking forward to seeing what happens.
My Book Rating – 3*

Lord of Shadows – Cassandra Clare
Talk about an excessively long book! This was ginormous! It was a big commitment but I got through it. I adore the Shadowhunter world, but I have to say that the Dark Artifices is probably my least favourite. They are just so long, and that can be off putting to read. Like obviously I will but I have to psych myself up first you know. So, Lord of Shadows, I really need to start taking notes because I’m having a mind blank! It’s basically about Emma and Julian pretending not to love each other when they do, and trying to find a way to break this curse. The curse of the parabatai bond; if you’re in love, it basically drives you mad. I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t like either Emma or Julian, they get on my nerves and the secondary characters are so much better! Mark, Ty, Kit give me more of them! Also, just as a ‘I hate to state to the obvious’ but please, if there’s no body they aren’t dead! It’s just basic common knowledge, but they didn’t think to question that! Gees Louise that’s on you. Oh yeah, there’s those people the Centurions, god I hated them I hope they get their comeuppance in the next book. Anyways, the sub stories of book are much more enjoyable; Kit coming to terms with his heritage, the trip to London, faerie land, family betrayal! See much more interesting. The book ended on a cliff hanger, and I was just like whaaaaaaat! I need answers and I need them now! And now I’ve got to wait like a year till the next one. Sad times. Overall of course I liked the book, I just preferred the secondary story as opposed to the primary one.
My Book Rating – 3*

Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell
This book has been on my shelf for so long and I’ve been meaning to read it for ages but I’m just hardly ever in the mood for contemporary and honestly, I don’t really like them. What first attracted me to this particular one is that the main character is going to college and that was something I could relate to, and she was shy and introverted and of course she was a fangirl. Its seems to be describing me so of course I wanted to read it. Fangirl is a nice book that follows Cath as she traverses the rocky roads of family, school, love and herself. But that’s it, it’s just nice, there was some conflict but nothing life altering. And that everyone is why I don’t really read contemporary. I want people dying and fighting and murder! But obviously I’m not going to get that. My favourite part of this book were the fanfiction excerpts at the start of each chapter. I enjoyed the journey that Cath went on during the book and I could relate to her and her struggles. When the book was over I felt happy so I guess that’s a good sign. I think next for me would be to read Carry On as that was my favourite part.
My Book Rating – 3*

Finally! I’ve written this post. It took a while but I got there. It’s been a while since I read so many books in one month! And July will be just as long too! I’ve read some good books so far that I’m excited to review. Next time I post I would’ve graduated! That’ll be weird. Well until then…
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment