Instagram

Saturday 26 August 2017

July Wrap Up

So here we are basically at the end of August and I still haven't written my July post! Shame on me, but let me tell you what I got up to in July. I went on holiday with my friends, I graduated Uni, I saw my brother and me and Hen played croquet. Lots of fun stuff. I’ve had a super fun August too, but I’ll have to wait to the next post to tell you (which won’t be that long really!). Since I went on holiday I actually managed to read a lot of good books in July, so onto the reviews!



The Method - Shannon Kirk
This was the first book I read on holiday and I was so excited to read it. My mum was actually reading it before me but let me take it on holiday, so kind! The premise of the book is what drew me to it; a 16-year-old girl gets kidnapped in the later stages of her pregnancy; however, they really chose the wrong girl to pick on. This girl was a machine! She refused to back down and was not going to let this be her ending. Throughout the book there is alternating chapters between the girl and a FBI investigator on the case. I found his chapters to be a bit meh to be honest and would always find myself trying to power through them to get back to the main story. What I liked best about our main character was that she turned the kidnap victim trope on its head and she saved herself. Throughout the story we hear about the ‘assets’ she has been collecting from the house she is being kept in; some string, a knitting needle, water and a radio. At the end of the book they are all used together to destroy her enemies and escape! It is a great final showdown and I love it. I also really enjoyed the trial scenes and watching her be totally crazy. Once I had returned from holiday and mum read it, she said that I was like the girl! I mean I’m taking it as a compliment, but it made me laugh when mum said it.
My Book Rating – 4*


The Catcher in the Rye – J.D Salinger
What better place to read a classic than on holiday. In all honesty, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. So, it’s a very short book which is another reason why I decided to take it, and as I’m sure lots of you know the book is centred around Holden Caulfield, who has just been kicked out of yet another school. The book doesn’t really have a plot of sorts and nothing really happens. But nonetheless I enjoyed it. It’s very difficult to give this a proper review, I can’t say anything about the writing style, it’s set over a weekend so there is no character development, and all he does really is walk around New York talking to people. But what I did like about it is that I found it so easy to read, I read it at the beach in one sitting. I actually really liked Holden as a character, he was just an angsty teenager and normally I don’t like that but this time I did. I don’t really think I’d ever want to read it again but I’m glad I read it at least once.
My Book Rating – 4*


The Young Elites – Marie Lu
The only reason I wanted to read this was because I loved the Legend series so much, I cried when it ended! I so wanted to like this just as much but sadly I didn’t. The concept was good but I just didn’t enjoy the final payoff. Our main character Adelina is a survivor of a deadly illness that swept the nation, killing everyone in its path. The survivors are left scarred and rumours are spreading that they were left with more than scars; special abilities making them more powerful than anyone else. They are called the young elites. Sounds amazing right, well sadly I don’t think it lived up to the greatness that I had imagined. I think what annoyed me the most was that the main character kept going on about how she was fed up of being used and pushed about, but honestly I don’t think she lived up to hard and cold persona that was created and I found it slightly disappointing. I also didn’t really like the final showdown, it was full of near misses and close calls and it was just annoying me. Someone just get stabbed please! I can’t say for certain if I’ll carry on reading, I’d like to say yes but it probably won’t be high on my list.
My Book Rating – 3*


The One – John Marrs
This was the final book I read on holiday and it was just crazy. There’s about 5 different points of view, focussing on different couples coming to terms with ‘the one’. This is the general premise; a scientific discovery has found a gene that we share only with one other person. The twists and turns that this story takes are insane, you never know what’s around the corner. Of course, I preferred some story lines to others and sometimes I was skipping ahead as I wanted to know what happened. The ended left me hanging a bit and I was a bit confused but overall I did really enjoy it. I don’t normally read crime thriller books and I think that’s why I liked it so much, it was something different to my usual reads.
My Book Rating – 4*


Nemesis – Brendan Reichs
Another book with a great concept that I just don’t think delivered. I heard about this book months before it came out and I was just so excited. The cover is amazing the premise is great and I was just waiting till I could buy it. The book started off strong, every 2 years on her birthday, Min is killed by a strange man she does not know. Then it went into this strange story of asteroids and aliens and the end of the world and government conspiracies, and I started to dislike it more. Also, don’t get me started on Noah, I found him to be such a wet blanket and so annoying and so woe is me. As the book went on I found it to be similar to the Gone series by Michael Grant and I liked that series much better. It’s such a shame that I didn’t enjoy this fully, I really wanted to. I’m sure I’ll read the next book and hopefully it’ll improve.
My Book Rating – 3*


That basically took me all day to write! And I’ve got to write the one for August in just a couple of days! Luckily, I haven’t read as many books this month so hopefully it’ll be easier to write. I’ll give myself a couple days rest and I’ll be back on writing!

TTFN




No comments:

Post a Comment