Instagram

Monday 3 April 2017

March Wrap Up


It's the Easter holidays ! I can eat all the chocolate ! I had a matchmaker egg yesterday (yes that is a real thing), and it was beautiful minty goodness ! I can't believe I've never had one before. Enough about chocolate and onto books ! I read three books this month and they were all great, I think it's been a good book month. So I wrote that yesterday, but I just wasn't in the writing spirit, but last night I had a super cool dream and it has seriously inspired me/motivated me and I am ready to review !

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
This book just had so much going on ! It was a fantasy and a half ! There was just so much going on, so many new places, so many characters. It was just insane. But by jove did I enjoy it. I've not read the other Grisha series but I don't really think you need to. This reads perfectly without any prior knowledge of the world. Basically its about a group of misfits who must band together to pull off an impossible heist: break in to an impenetrable fortress and rescue a prisoner. The stakes are high, but the reward for  pulling it off is even higher. Needless to say this is an epic story full of romance, revenge and betrayal. Did someone say superpowers!? Yes there's a bit of that here too. Sounds perfect ! My only negative of the book is that I found it to be maybe 100 pages too long and felt there was a bit of a lull about half way through. It picked up and everything kicked off so all was forgiven, but that would be my only criticism. I simply adored this band of merry misfits and loved the alternating chapter POVs. As with most books my favourite character were the ladies. Don't get me wrong, Kaz was cool and a great leader, but you just can't beat the Wraith. Will I be reading the next one? Hells yes ! I cannot wait to read the conclusion to this story !
My Book Rating - 4*

World After - Susan Ee                                                                                 This is the sequel to Angelfall, which I read and loved last year. I was not disappointed with this sequel ! I feel like the action was happening left, right and centre ! Every page was something new. Yes it did have moments of non action but they were few and far between. The book picked off straight where the first one ended, it was great ! This book seemed to ramp up the urgency, due to the consequences of the first book. Our main character Penryn, has to find her sister after an incident at the resistance camp is pinned on her. You're probably thinking, that's what happened in the first book, and you'd be right to think that. However, something has happened to Paige and its all on the angels ! Penryn has to find out what's going on before its too late ! Will Raffe be there to help? Will Penryn reunite with her sister? You must read to find out ! I certainly will be reading to find out what happens next.
My Book Rating - 4*

Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig
Now if you've read any of my other posts then you know that this is not something I would ever normally read. Firstly its non fiction, and that is usually something I steer clear of. Secondly, there is no secondly I just like putting firstly. I decided to read this book as it is a memoir about having depression. I have been fighting my own internal battle, and I wanted to read about someone elses experiences. This book was super short and consisted of 5 parts. It was funny in parts and sad in others. It was just nice to read. Nice to read something where I could go yes that's how I feel. The book had some quotes that I could just really relate to and quotes I'd probably want to get framed. I really recommend that everyone should read this book. You don't have to read all of it just a few chapters. It's called reasons to stay alive and here's a few of mine: Future, Family, Hen Pen, Sunny Days, Swimming Piggies, Cute Dogs and the chance that at one point in my life I may eat the greatest burger in existence (I really hope its got cheese and bacon in it).
My Book Rating - 4*

Look at that a month of fours. That reminds me of a time I played mini golf ... I won't get into it right now, it'll only make me angry. The next time I write a post I'll be back at uni and stressing about exams, so lets have some fun and read some good books before then !
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment