Instagram

Tuesday 3 January 2017

Best Books of 2016

The year has come to an end and I completed my reading challenge ! And I not just completed it, I read more ! In 2016 I read 37 books and my target was 30, so I am very pleased this year. With all these books I've got plenty to choose from for my favourites. Also with this amount of reading I won the bet ! This means I get a three course meal cooked for me which I am very excited about. I just need to pick what I want ! So much choice I don't know how I'll pick. At least picking my favourite books of the past year was easier. My top books of 2016, in no particular order were:

Illuminae - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff 
I loved this book so much. Like unreal amounts. It was so different to anything I've read before and the way it was set out was amazing. If you've not read this book, I seriously urge you to do so, I can't say enough good things about it. If I had to pick an absolute favourite for 2016 it would be this. I read it in January and it has stuck with me ever since. I have just got the sequel Gemina and I can't wait to see how the story develops.

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes
I read the first two books of this series this year and I think I can count them both as best books I read. For the sake of list making I'll just add one book if it's in a series. This series is like a YA Game of Thrones. I don't think there's any dragons in this series though ! It's high fantasy princesses and rebels and the like. I read this book really quickly as I tend to get so invested in these types of stories. As I said I've read the first two books in this series and I look forward to what the rest of the series has to offer.

A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas
I also read a Court of Thorns and Roses this year but I think this one pipped it to the post as my favourite. Once again another fantasy series that I just love. I think I preferred this one more as Rhys is much better than Tamlin for one and also the secondary characters of the night Court are much more interesting. The story development of the Night Court that happens in this book is more in depth compared to that of the Spring Court in the first book. The next book comes out next year and I'm so excited to read it !

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
This is a standalone novel and I'm sure this added to my enjoyment, as I knew there was nothing to continue it, once I'd read it it was over ! This was a bit of a different one for me, I don't normally read books of this style and I loved the concept. I also found out that it's going to be a film and that's super exciting news ! I like the characters in this book, they are all flawed but that's what makes them human and easier to connect with. I loved reading this and I look for to reading other books by this author.

Lady Midnight - Cassandra Clare
How could this not be in my favourites ! The day a shadowhunters novel is not one of my favourite reads, the world will be over ! Well not that extreme but it will be a weird year ! This book is super chunky so it is an investment read, but we have all come to expect this of shadowhunter novels now. I loved that the old characters made some appearances and it was nice to read about them 5 years after the events of City of Heavenly Fire. It's also nice to be introduced to new characters and stories. Of course I will be following this series, I'll just have to put some time aside to do so !

Empire of Storms - Sarah J. Maas
Oh look ! Another Sarah J. Maas book ! It was so difficult to pick between this and Queen of Shadows ! I loved them both so much ! I picked this one as I loved the interconnecting stories that work their way throughout the whole book. I even enjoyed the Manon chapters. This book was basically a journey book, the team are travelling across the country trying to find the wyrdkeys. This book has a great finale and I can't wait to continue reading even though the next book will be the last !

Angelfall - Susan Ee
I found this to be an unexpected hit . I really enjoyed reading this, and I can't believe that it took me so long ! I loved the angel story that happens throughout the book and I think it's a really interesting concept, and a twist on the dystopia genre. I have to give a shoutout to Henry as I wouldn't have read it without him, and what would I be missing out on ! I'm looking forward to seeing how this story develops and unfolds in the other books. Which I most definitely will be reading !

There it is my top 7 books of 2016, bit of a random number but ah well ! I really cannot wait to see what I read this year ! I'm excited to see what 2017 has to offer.
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment