Instagram

Saturday 27 August 2016

July Wrap Up

Better late than never right ?! At least I've got it done before my August one is due ! This month has been super hectic and a whirlwind of emotions. At the start of this month I went on holiday with my sister to Florida so yay ! Howver, after this I was ill so boo ! Then I visited my grandparents and watched series 6 of Game of Thrones so another yay ! I've now been in a state of meh-ness, feeling neither great or bad just somewhere in between. Good job I got all my reading done in July ! Now onto the reviews, and I even impressed myself this time.


The Selection - Kiera Cass
Not going to lie, I'd forgotten I'd read this book. Now that either doesn't bode well for my memory or the quality of the book. The general consensus is that this book is like a weird version of the Bachelor. The main character, America (which is a name I really don't like), lives in a society which is divided into Castes (similar to the districts in the Hunger Games) where wealth is distributed and the divide between rich and poor is vast. Is there a love triangle is this book ? You betcha. Is the main character annoying ? You know it. This book was by no means terrible, I read it quickly and I would recommend it as a beach read. However I wont be in any rush to read the sequels.
My Book Rating  - 3*

Zenith - Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings
I've read many negatives reviews about this book and I have to say I disagree with them. Yes the book is short, and yes its not the best piece of writing I've read, but I still enjoyed it and would continue with the series. What I like is that you cannot tell that two people wrote it, it flows well. I love books about space and kick ass female characters can always win me over. I loved the murder complex, so I hoped that this would be as equally enjoyable. I was not disappointed with this book, I read it in one sitting. I cant really remember the plot but I remember the twist at the end and look forward to seeing what's next.
My Book Rating - 4*



Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - J.K Rowling
How on earth did it take me so long to get around to reading this book ! It's super short so I read it one evening. What I liked and thought was different is that it's literally just an A-Z of magical creatures. It's nice to get some extra back story that isn't too in depth, but is still in the Harry Potter world. There's not really too much to say apart from its worth reading if you're a fan of Harry Potter and also maybe read it before you see the film !
My Book Rating - 4*




Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
I have had this book on my shelf since it came out and I have only now just read it. Shame on me ! This book was a great read and I loved the concept it was super interesting. The main character Wade is a loner and a geek, who finds an escape in the Oasis where he spends most of his time, including school. Wade however becomes an overnight sensation when he's the first to find a clue in a coveted competition. On his quest he meets a variety of people. Are they friend or foe only time will tell. Another bonus of this book is that it's a standalone so once its over its over ! No sequels for you.
My Book Rating - 4*


Sweet Peril - Wendy Higgins
This book fills the guilty pleasure section of my reading. I didn't find this book to be particularly amazing, but nonetheless it's an easy read, I can't help but get picked up in the storyline. This book is the sequel to Sweet Evil, and follows Anna and her friends as they try to fulfil a prophecy. This journey takes them around the world. I'd say this book is predominantly a romance book with elements of other YA typicals. It's by no means my favourite but I'm sure I'll keep reading this series.
My Book Rating - 3*




Lady Midnight - Cassandra Clare
Finally ! Another Shadowhunter series that can consume my life. Well maybe not my life, since this will be the first one that I'll have to wait for all the books to be released. As I said it's a new Shadowhunter series, focusing on the Los Angeles institute. The main characters we have already met in City of Heavenly Fire, Emma, Julian and the Blackthorn family. A string of dead bodies have been found around LA and it's up to the Shadowhunters to investigate. A lot is on the line for these young Shadowhunters, including the return of their brother Mark. I love the Shadowhunter novels, and so far this could be heading to be one of my favourites. Twists and turns and some old characters cropping up, I can't wait to see what happens next.
                                          My Book Rating - 4*

Can you believe I read 6 books! I think that's a record for me. Don't be expecting anything like this for August, reading has not been at the forefront of my mind. I'm sure I'll find something to write about !
TTFN







No comments:

Post a Comment