Instagram

Monday 4 April 2016

March Wrap Up

How has a quarter of this year already passed ! The beginning of the year seems to fly by like the flash. Now I know you're all dying to know how much I read, but before then let me tell you a funny story...
 I went to Wales last week and I did not find it to be the most enjoyable experience. The weather was terrible, and when we climbed Snowdon it was hailing and snowing. Now I am rather unfit, but when you see 5 year olds running past you up a mountain you know there's a real problem. I was literally always at the back of the group and was told on several occasions to start before everyone else, and within about 10 minutes I was back lagging behind again. It was in these moments that I wished I stayed on the coach and read a book, only to realise that that was why I was probably so unfit. I also now realise that that was not even a funny story and a probable waste of time. Ah well I guess you had to be there. On to the reviews...

Anya's Ghost - Vera Brosgol
This is a graphic novel about a girl who falls down a well to be befriended by a ghost. What ensues is  a series of typical high school scenarios with the twist of added ghostness. As with most stories, there is a twist which spins the story on its head. I really liked the concept of the story and the artwork had a nice aesthetic to it, however, overall I just found it a bit meh. I cant quite put my finger on an exact problem, but as I was reading it I just wasn't really having any strong opinions about it, I was just simply reading it. It's a shame as I think it had a lot of potential. But hey, you can't win them all I guess.
My Book Rating  - 3*

Jupiter's Legacy - Mark Millar
Look at that another graphic novel. This one is more my usual style, superheroes and the like. This particular story is based around a family of supers and their children who are not so willing of the responsibilities. There is a battle of power and naturally rivalries crop up and some intense scenes occur. I read it all in one sitting and it was enjoyable enough, but it wasn't the favourite one I've read recently. I think I'd carry on with the series though.
My Book Rating - 3*

Goblet Of Fire - J K Rowling
I feel a little odd writing about the storyline of this book, so I'll just talk about things that are in the book but not the film (your'e missing out if you've not read it !)  I think the main one is Winky, a loyal house-elf who wears a tea cosy. There is of course Peeves, the super annoying ghost who definitely should've been in the films ! SPEW, the campaign that Hermione sets up for elvish welfare, that no one else really cares about. And finally, fun fact ! Did you know that the phoenix feathers that are in Harry's and Voldemort's wands came from Fawkes ! I'm sure there's many other bits I just can't think right now. Obviously I loved the book, even though it took me forever to read (it's not even the biggest one !)
My Book Rating  - 4*

Onwards and upwards I guess. See you next month !
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment