Instagram

Monday 7 March 2016

February Wrap Up

So there goes another month, already march and only 11 days till I break up for Easter. I only read 3 books this month (booooooooooooo). So much for the reading I had planned. Although in my defence, one of those books took over 2 weeks to read! I think I can safely come to the conclusion that I am done with the contemporary for now, and want to get more into the escapism of reading and not reading stuff that reminds me of my awful teenage years. On to the measly 3 books that I read.

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes
This was my first endeavour into kindle reading, and to be honest my mind has been changed. It was nice to be able to read in bed without holding a clunky book and even better to not have to get out of bed to turn the light off when I was finished. Anyways skipping that tangent, I really enjoyed this book. I don't read fantasy all that often and it was a pleasant change that I shall be continuing with. The book has several storylines and viewpoints that all congregate at the end very well. Princes, Princesses, Rebels and Magic. If you like that sort of thing, then this book is for you.
My Book Rating - 4*


A Court Of Thorns And Roses - Sarah J Maas
So I obviously had high expectations for this after absolutely loving the Throne of Glass series, and overall I was not disappointed. It did take a while for me to get into it, however once I did I couldn't put it down. It probably took about 70-100 pages of slowness before it really picKed up the pace. The overlying story arc is about a human who must live in the faerie world as payment for killing a faerie. As much as the tropes are similar to your usual YA, there were plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested. I look forward to seeing what happens next.
My Book Rating - 4*


The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting - Holly Bourne
Right, this book produced a lot of feelings from me and not all of them were good. The protagonist is Bree who is essentially a geek. She doesn't have many friends but is portrayed as being exceptionally clever. Bree is trying to become a writer and decides that a social experiment will make her more interesting and in turn her writing as well. In some respects it reminded me slightly of Mean Girls, a girl working her way into the popular crowd to try and cause their demise, however ultimately causing their own at the same time. That was were the similarity ended. I really really really disliked the whole manifesto thing, I thought it was super out of character for someone like Bree to do. Maybe it's because of personal experience, but I just thought that the story wasn't for lack of a better word 'right'. Some parts of the story seemed disconnected from how the character would really act, written in itself to make story more interesting. At times Bree was a character I felt like I could really connect with but other times I really couldn't. The plus side of this book was that it reminded me that lots of people hated school and hated being a teenager, and even when I thought I was, I wasn't alone in these feelings I had. In some respects it made me realise how trivial it all is. Something that seems like the end of world, is not even a blip in your life and you move on, and as much as it's said a lot, it really does get better.
My Book Rating - 3*

On to March ...
TTFN





No comments:

Post a Comment