Instagram

Tuesday 2 February 2016

January Wrap Up

So that's it, the worst month of the year is over. Thank God ! I am pleased to say that it went very quickly, so onwards and upwards for the rest of the year and all that jazz. I actually read a pretty decent amount of books this past month, compared to my failing standards of last year. I read 4 books and one graphic novel. It has been a month a mixed reviews and nice surprises. Fingers crossed that this trend will continue throughout the year.

Predestined - Abbi Glines
This is the second book in the Existence trilogy, about a girl who can see ghosts so of course her boyfriend is death. I feel like this book is slightly OTT and sometimes I cringed a bit. I don't really remember much except that Leif is a weird name. There's some voodoo stuff going on but ultimately I didn't totally commit this book as it didn't engage me as much as its predecessor. I'll read the last one just because I'd like some closure. I did enjoy it, but mainly as just a quick contemporary read.
My Book Rating 3*



Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer
I was really excited to read this book as I loved the concept and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately I didn't like this as much I was expecting to. Maybe I had just too high of an expectation and it didn't meet it. I think there could've been a better way to portray this concept in book form. I found the chapters that were actually taken from the 'book' to be pretty boring and pointless, and I ended up skim reading them or missing them completely. The characters seemed pretty stereotypical and I didn't like them that much. Maybe this is the adult in me, but I found them to be rather whiny. It saddens me to say this, but I don't think I'll be rushing to pick up the next instalment any time soon.
My Book Rating 3*


Hopeless - Colleen Hoover
After reading Slammed I was so ready to pick up this book and just devour it. I was not disappointed with this book, in fact I loved it. The writing is so engaging, I just had to keep reading. I really was not expecting the twists in this book, and they just added to the enjoyment of it. I loved the characters in this book, though I found Holder to be a smidge annoying at times. This has kept up the Colleen Hoover steam train, and I look forward to reading the next one.
My Book Rating 4*


Illuminae - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Oh my god, this book is 600 pages of incredible. It was just so different with it concept and formatting. It is an amazing book. I wasn't just reading a book, I was visualising it as a film. It's one of the best books I've read in a long time. I've not read anything by the authors before, but now if I saw one I'd probably buy it. I need the next one right this second ! I realise I haven't actually said anything about the actual content so I'll just throw in some words; space, hackers, conspiracy and kick ass leads. Seriously I could not stop reading, it was just so captivating. Just read this book.
My Book Rating 5*


Wytches - Snyder, Jock, Hollingsworth and Robins
This is something a little of the norm for me but I wanted to try something different. I usually read superhero graphic novels so this was a bit of a novelty for me. I assumed that it would be scarier than it actually was. However that's probably a plus for me as it meant I didn't have nightmares after reading it. It was pretty violent and bloody in some places but overall nothing crazy. I liked the idea of the wytches and the pledging but I don't really think it was my cup of tea and I'll probably stick to superheroes next time.
My Book Rating 3*



Bring on February !
TTFN




No comments:

Post a Comment