Instagram

Wednesday 15 July 2015

Rebel Belle - Rachel Hawkins

First things first; I love this cover. The dagger (I think) and the necklace are so incongruous, but it really works and pretty much sets the scene for the book.

High school student Harper Price seems to have it all; head cheerleader, super smart and seems to have everything under control, even with all she has on her plate. She even seems to be set for Homecoming Queen and the star of the Cotillion. However, it all changes when a super strange event happens in the bathroom at homecoming; she becomes a Paladin. A Paladin you say, what is this strange word? Where have I heard this before? In this book a Paladin is originated from the warriors of Charlemagne's court. Paladins are gifted with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts. So even after all of this craziness that Harper has discovered, she finds out that she is sworn to protect an Oracle. Who is this Oracle you say? None other than her least favourite person David Stark. What could get worse than this? The fate of the world rests in their hands ?!?! Dun Dun Dunnnnnn

As you can imagine, crazy stuff goes down and even though it is a YA book, and even though it does follow many tropes, I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised with this book, it was a real page turner and I just had to keep reading to find out how it would end. I loved the scene at the end when (spoiler alert) everyone just goes crazy at the Cotillion ! I loved that bit.

The characters weren't my fave and they followed typical story arcs which made me sometimes be like eugh really? Harper occasionally got on my nerves with the choices she makes in these scenarios. Sometimes it just felt like bad/annoying decisions to continue the plot.

Whenever a book has short chapters that's always a win with me. When I have short chapter books, I love the feeling of 'just one more chapter'.
I really hope that Miss Mayhem follows this fun trend and I'm looking forward to reading it.

My Book Rating - 4*
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment