Instagram

Monday 24 November 2014

Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy

Skulduggery Pleasant is a book I had seen in shops many times and never picked up. Maybe I just wasn't a big fan of the cover (which I now know from staring at frequently, that I definitely don't like). It is most certainly aimed at people of a younger age than myself, though I would never make that stop me buying a book as children and adults alike can enjoy this. However in hindsight I just don't think this was the book for me. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, and I really liked some of the characters, I just came out at the end with a general sense of 'well that was OK I guess'. Would I read the next book? Sure I would and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Skulduggery Pleasant, is about a detective and his 12 year old sidekick Stephanie I mean Valkyrie Cain (names have a certain power you know). They are on a mission to stop the bad guys from stealing the sceptre and bringing back the Faceless ones. But is all as it seems? Can you trust the right people? 

Skulduggery is a great character. He is quick witted and sarcastic even when in peril. Did I mention he has magic and is a skeleton? Yep he's pretty cool. I also like the secondary character Tanith low. First of all she has a great name and she is a strong and important character as the story progresses. Tanith low is a fighter in the literal sense of the word, she is great at what she does and she knows it. 'Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough.' she actually says that before she starts fighting a cleaver and I just loved it.

Overall I personally was not a huge fan of the story as a whole. There were parts I really liked but at other parts I just wasn't really feeling it and I just think it lacked a certain something to make it truly great. 

My rating 3*
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment