Instagram

Saturday 17 May 2014

Days of Blood and Starlight - Laini Taylor

Oh my god, this book is awesome. A totally wicked kind of awesome.

Days of Blood and Starlight is the sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and this sequel was even better than the first. That's an accomplishment! 

The book starts with a fun chapter from Zuzana and Mik. In fact all the chapters involving the two characters are great, I love the relationship they have. Zuzana has such great lines full of wit,humor and sass. This first chapter involves Zuzana trying to get Mik to pee on Kaz's head whilst he's having an interview.After that first chapter we follow the story of Karou and Akiva but now they are on opposing sides (sob). Karou with the Chimaera, becoming the resurrectionist to avenge her people and build a new army (what!). Whilst Akiva goes to try and find Karou and go back to the Seraphim army to fight a war. However Akiva is fighting an internal battle for redemption and hope. I could keep writing the story line but I fear I may type to much and just end up spoiling people, so I'll leave that as the synopsis.

The book is full of battles, tricksters, plot twists and the final Kirin ?! There were times when my mouth was left agape with what was going on, and at times you are left thinking 'what the hell'. Laini Taylor's writing is so all-consuming you become engulfed in the world. This is one of those books where you stop reading and have to remind yourself that you are actually reading a book. 

When reading this book there are lots of quotes and pieces of writing that really just make you stop and think but this one is probably my favourite,
'Dead souls dream only of death. Small dreams for small men. It is life that expands to fill words. Life is your master, or death is. Look at you. You are a lord of ashes, a lord of char. You are filthy with your victory. Enjoy it, for you will never know another. You are lord of  a country of ghosts, and that is all you will ever be.'
That just gives me chills, I absolutely love it.

After reading this book and seeing how it ends I need to get my hands on the final book, Dreams of Gods and Monsters ASAP. The ending, oh my god I need to know what happens now !

My book rating 5*
PS Can I have some crescent moon blades please?
TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment