Instagram

Thursday 18 January 2018

Best Books Of 2017

This is it, the year is over ! I bet you are all super excited to hear my choices. But first you must hear about my life … 2018 has started positively which is good, although yesterday I spilt a drink on my Dad’s laptop ! What an idiot ! Luckily it didn’t die but a friendly reminder to myself and others, don’t drink by computers !  Anyways, I am finally reading, which is more than can be said for those last months of last year ! As I’ve said in my previous post I did manage to reach my Goodreads target which was 25. This year I have pushed it up to 30. So I’ve got to keep up my reading pace ! I gave 3 books 5*, which seems like I’ve not read many good books but I have ! I’m just a reluctant 5* giver. It’s really got to wow me. So, because I struggled to cut down on all my 4* books, this year I’ve decided to pick one book per category. This means there may be some surprises that may not be on the list. The categories for 2018 are; sci-fi, dystopia, fantasy, historical and crime. This is it, are you ready ?

Sci-fi
Gemina – Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Is this a surprise to anyone? I didn’t think so. This series is just so incredible. I can read these books like nobodies business. They are such an immersive experience, it really is like you’re watching a film or something. I admit, they are chunky, but you can read through them so quickly as the pages are all so different. Some have text posts and some is just dialogue. You have to praise the authors as they have done such an excellent job of creating these books. I would honestly recommend these books to anyone wanting a great read, I fact I did. Hen Pen loved it too. I’d say it’s the best space book I’ve read. I have no doubt that the final book will be on my best books of 2018.

Dystopia
Scythe – Neal Shusterman
 I got this book for Christmas last year, and it wouldn’t ever be something I would’ve picked up on my own. The cover is great and from reading the blurb, the concept sounds great; there’s no more death so people have to take up the mantle and do it. Sounds pretty interesting right? I was super surprised by how sucked into this book I was. It was just something so different to read, I’ve never read anything like it before. I loved the twists and turns and I can’t wait to read how this story develops and unfolds.

Fantasy
Crooked Kingdom – Leigh Bardugo
The fantasy category was the hardest for me to pick just one book. But ultimately this was the clear winner. I read both books this year and oh my god they were just great. I just loved this immersive story. The world building is incredible and so in depth, you’d almost think Ketterdam is a real place. The characters are great and I just got so into the story and loved how it all ended. I say everyone should read this series ! I feel like I need to read her other series since I liked this one so much. I have high hopes !

Historical
And I Darken – Kiersten White
Now I will admit this book started as a complete cover buy. I saw the sequel in a book shop p, and I was just like I have to read this book. Sadly, they didn’t have the first one so I had to order it online. But, my was I glad I picked it up. I loved the main character, she was such a great, strong female lead. I also really enjoyed the historical aspect, it was something I’d never really read before. It’s opened up a new genre for me, and I would now read more books like this. I did find this book to lull in some places, when the storylines split, but overall the book really intrigued me and I’m really looking forward to seeing where the storyline goes in the other books.

Crime
The Method – Shannon Kirk
2017 was the year I really got into crime books. I’ve really read any full on crime books, I’ve read mysteries and such, but last year was all about the crime thrillers. And this was a gooden. I read this on holiday and was fully invested straight away. I loved this story. It was so interesting and intricate, I couldn’t tell what was going to happen at all. I found the storyline to be really original and something totally new for me. It’s about a kidnapping where the shoe is on the other foot … The writing style is clever and really immersive, it’s also a one off so no need to wait around for another one !

So that’s the category winners, but I can’t go without adding some honourable mentions; The Diabolic by S.J Kincaid, World After by Susan Ee, The One by John Marrs and A Court Of Wings And Ruin by Sarah J Maas (of course!).

I think you’ll agree I read some pretty good books! Hopefully I’ll read lots of great books this year to reach my target, and maybe have a longer favourites list next year!
TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment